Styx - The Grand Illusion CD (album) cover

THE GRAND ILLUSION

Styx

thwok
4 stars I am a proud member of the "Styx Doesn't Get Enough Credit" camp. While I wouldn't put them in my top 10 list, I do enjoy their music and believer they're progressive enough for this site. As many others have stated, The Grand Illusion is top-drawer Styx. By progressive standards, I'll give the album 3 1/2 stars and round it up to 4 for overall quality.

One of the outstanding traits of Styx is the way their music has changed over time. They branched out and improved as musicians and composers over the years. Although it might not be apparent over the course of one album, Styx definitely progressed! Of course, The Grand Illusion contains some of Styx's best known material. The best tracks are "The Grand Illusion", "Fooling Yourself", "Miss America", and "Castle Walls." I don't think Tommy Shaw has ever sung better than he did on the emotional "Fooling Yourself", and I really like the keyboards on this one.

James Young may not have the most melodic voice, but his forceful bass is perfect for the sarcastic "Miss America". Lastly, "Castle Walls" is the most progressive track on the album, as we normally think of "progressive". "Superstars" is my least favorite track, but it doesn't defeat the overall high quality of The Grand Illusion. There is no doubt about the band's skill as performers. They are more progressive than Journey or Boston (just shoot me now!) ever were, as the band biography explains well. Styx changed and grew, and The Grand Illusion is Styx at the top of their game.

thwok | 4/5 |