Threshold - Paradox - The Singles Collection CD (album) cover

Threshold

SouthSideoftheSky
Symphonic Team
2 stars Mostly great music, but mostly available elsewhere

I should open this review by pointing out that I do not own this eight disc box set in physical form, but only in digital form (downloaded from iTunes). I'm sure that the actual box is lavish and has great value as a collector's item, but though I do consider myself a fan of Threshold I'm not a collector. Let me also say upfront that the music featured in this collection of singles is of a generally high quality. But like with so many singles collections of this kind (the three Queen singles collection box sets that were released recently comes to mind) the bulk of the material is already familiar.

The "a-sides" of these singles are all of them edited versions ("Radio edits") of album tracks. These are great songs, but why listen to edited versions when the full versions are available? Indeed, the most interesting tracks here are the non-album "b-sides" of which there are a handful. For me, the presence of these previously unavailable non-album tracks was the primary reason for me to look into this collection. There are also some alternate versions of familiar songs, but these are not too interesting for me.

The non-album "b-sides" include Conceal The Face and Shifting Sands from the Paradox single, Fist Of Tongues and Half Way Home from the Sunseeker single, and Smile At The Moon from the Virtual Isolation single. All of these songs are welcome additions to the Threshold catalogue and well worth checking out. They are particularly interesting to me since the first three albums are my favourites by the band, especially the Damian Wilson-fronted ones. However, even these tracks are now available as bonus tracks on the 2012 re- releases of Threshold's back catalogue.

My recommendation is that if you are a fan of Threshold, and you have all of their studio albums, but you are not familiar with the non-album tracks I mentioned above, by all means get them. But unless you are a collector, the best way to find these tracks is not to invest in an expensive box set.

SouthSideoftheSky | 2/5 |