Bert Jansch - Avocet (w/ Martin Jenkins) CD (album) cover

AVOCET (W/ MARTIN JENKINS)

Bert Jansch

Prog Folk

GruvanDahlman
4 stars This is a surprise and "pleasant" doesn't even begin to describe the feeling. At first I was hesitant about the content of the album. I liked the idea and the cover but sort of lacked the vocals of Jansch. Or so I thought, anyway.

The album consists of six instrumental pieces, vTying in lengts from a couple of minutes to the epic title track with it's striking 18 minutes in length. The songs are all varied but cling together very nicely, bringing musical texture to the wildlife presented on the cover. Now, I am not an ornothologist but I do see before me beautiful scenery with birds flying, eating or whatever they do do.

Avocet is, in essence, a bold step. Not really a too far cry from the folk he'd already produced, yet quite different. Maybe it is due to the fact that Jansch does not sing on the album or maybe it is more of a prog-folk album than anything else he had been recording up to that point. And besides, producing an album of this kind in 1978/1979 shows a musisician totally in control of his vision, being on top of his game. Avocet is a rare little gem, well worth discovering. If you are hesitant, try Kingfisher first. I guatantee you you won't be disappointed.

GruvanDahlman | 4/5 |