The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band CD (album) cover

The Beatles

Proto-Prog

OGTL
5 stars 4.7 Stars!!

I think the Beatles have a well deserved spot in the archives. They radically changed popular music in the mid-late seventies! The "progression" of their style from 1963 to 1967 was amazing! They pioneered countless studio techniques, and created the mould for bands that came after them.

I think many people who aren't farmiliar with the Beatles shove them off as being a dirty pop band, and I thought that too before, because all I had been exposed to were songs like "Love Me Do" "A Hard Days Night" and the other early repetitive works. Not expecting anything great, but noticing people refferencing this album as being a highly influential album of great quality, I decided to try it out.

I was not in the least bit dissapointed! From the beginning guitar riffs of the title track to the trailing orchestra of A Day in the Life, I was astounded. For the year 1967, this was a incredible creation. The melodies are superb, arrangements near perfect, and production sound for that year. The instrumental work is not quite virtuosic, but the incredible quality of the writing makes up for it.

The only complaint I have about the album is the length of Within You Without You. It should have been cut off 3 minutes in.

Conclusively, this album is essential for any well rounded prog collection, and I think more of you need to give the Beatles a chance. If you like well written, beautifully melodic rock music, this is your album.

Highlights: Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite, A Day In The Life, With A Little Help From My Friends.

OGTL | 5/5 |