Transatlantic - Live in Europe CD (album) cover

5 stars Well first of all, I think this DVD is very, very underrated.

With great, soulful executions of epic masterpieces of all time such as Duel With The Devil, My New World, Stranger In Your Soul and All Of The Above, you can't go wrong with this DVD. Plus, we get a good rendition of the beatiful We All Need Some Light in wich Morse adds a nice guitar solo in the middle of the song. Also included in this huge set is a very well crafted medley of Suite Charlotte Pike with several Beatles songs. Here we see the guys having lots of fun, and is always good to see tallented musicians having fun, they transmit that joy to the audience and at the same time they pay rendition to one of their biggest influences like only masters can (my mom approves the medley so that's something).

Morse is not perfect as a vocalist and his voice has some flaws here and there, but he sings with passion and overall I think he does a great job (and he has a lot of job to do in this set), by the way he also shines on the guitar and even more on the keys, what a talented musician. Trewavas is always tight and sings well, not only as a backing vocalist. Stolt playing is tasteful and his singing is unique. Portnoy is Portnoy. And special guest Daniel Gildenlow helps the band in making this one hell of a show possible, making contributions in almost all areas.

Picture quality could be better, below standards, without being terrible. The sound quality is very good, at least the stereo mix. Second disc consists in a documentary and a performance of Pink Floyd's classic Shine On You Crazy Diamond, plus the typical picture gallery. The extras are just ok, nothing spectacular, but hey they are extras.

Amazing show from an amazing band. Essential.

mistertorture | 5/5 |