Subsignal - Beautiful & Monstrous CD (album) cover

BEAUTIFUL & MONSTROUS

Subsignal

voliveira
4 stars 8/10

Emerging from the ashes of the second break-up of Sieges Even, Subsignal consists of Arno Menses and Markus Steffen vocals on guitars (both remaining SE)​​, and Ralf Schwager on bass, Roel van Helden on drums and David Bertok on keyboards. Beautiful and monstruous is the first of its three albums released so far in 2009.

Stylistically speaking, I can not say because the band is listed as Neo-Prog, when his style is a visible extension of what we saw in Sieges Even's last two albums, The Art of Navigating by the Stars and Paramount. Ok, is a prog metal not-so-metal? Yes, it is. It is a more lightweight and affordable, as well as a bit atmospheric, but also full of weight. Okay that neo-prog is not my area, but still, it was up to me they would be classified as prog-metal. But anyway ...

Musical and technically speaking, this album is flawless. The Art of Navigating by the Stars is one of my favorite prog metal albums of all time, and the band is expanding the wonderful sound that was developed in the last years by SE. The highlight is the guitar quite eclectic and minimalist from Steffen, who is obviously a very talented guitarist underrated, unfortunately. However each member shines. The crystal clear production and excellent allows one to appreciate all equally, without any being disadvantaged.

And the songs are all featured as well, although the album seems to end in either of anticlimax. That's because my version comes with the bonus track Rain Is The Most Beautiful Color, which seems to be somewhat forgettable. Three tracks stand out: Paradigm, which offers an eighties vibe tied with outstanding vocal Menses (which offers some harmonies here) and a wonderful instrumentation, atmospheric and The Sea and Walking With Ghosts. There are some passages (especially regarding guitars) that remind me of Madlin of the Well, in some ways, especially in its current phase post-rock.

4 stars. Excellent album!

voliveira | 4/5 |