The Flower Kings - Space Revolver CD (album) cover

The Flower Kings

2 stars The album is worth it for its memorable instrumental passages or, sometimes, its melodies. It has very solid songwriting and the band members are good music interpreters. And perhaps that's why it blinds an impartial review of it. Some years ago I would give it 4 or 5 stars easily. But, again, as I said before, we have to surpass the glue that the emotional ego tries to impregnate on our rational, cognitive ego. And getting through that barrier, few the album has to offer than a unfeeled collection of songs, and noticing that, quoting Sean Trane (as I don't find a better way to express it), "every single note appears to have been heard in different albums scattered through the prog giants of the 70's".

I believe this is what people calls "Regressive Progressive Rock" but hey, I'm not criticizing its existence. This band responds to those people who wants to listen to exhaustive interpretions and contemporaneous variations of the same old formulas of the golden 70's scene. If you want something new, different or revolutionary, deffinitely don't buy it.

TRoTZ | 2/5 |