Moonchild Trio - Astronome CD (album) cover

ASTRONOME

Moonchild Trio

RIO/Avant-Prog

MusicForSpeedin
5 stars John Zorn never ceases to amaze me.

This is the most progressive sound out there.

John says he imagines this CD to be like a drug trip if listened to in a dark room with headphones. I think he is right. This music is brutal! Just listening to the things Patton is doing with his vocals make me wonder how this man hasn't died yet. The stamina of Patton is unparalleled.

Anyway, this is an Opera. As in any opera "Astronome" is designed to tell a story, although you really can't make heads or tails out of what is going on. The only hints you get are from the titles of the songs. On first listen, the album seems to just be like Moonchild ,but the more I've listened to it, the more I seem to get a grasp of the concept. It is an amazingly diverse album! While this album in indeed dominated by many brutal sections, there's a lot of odd melodies floating about. For example, 13 minutes into act two the dynamic of the entire piece changes from something that sounds like it is worthy of music to listen to in an insane asylum to something that would be played at the local supermarket (The same thing also happens at about 5:90 in act 3). The gentle atmosphere is maintained until the end of the track with some fantastic bass work by Dunn.

All musicians on this album prove to be masters of their instrument.

Zorn proves to me once again that he is possibly the only composer to rival the works of FZ.

This album is the greatest album of 2006 IMHO and probably won't be bested for quite some time. This album will leave you speechless if you have the patience to listen to it. The only down fall of the album may be that it is TOO progressive for its time...thus it gets a 4.5 stars ,but I will round up...5/5 stars.

MusicForSpeedin | 5/5 |