Opeth - Ghost Reveries CD (album) cover

GHOST REVERIES

Opeth

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

SevDawg
5 stars This an excellent album that really got me into OPETH. Initially I tried "Still Life" and "Blackwater Park" but found it hard to grasp this type of music. I used to find the death growls to be distasteful, but after "Ghost Reveries", I've come to really appreciate them. A few of my favorite songs below:

"Ghost of Perdition" in my opinion is the best track on the album. 10+ minutes of great riffs, good vocals (the part about 6 minutes in is awesome). Surprisingly, I find Akerfeldt's clean vocals on this song (and the album in general) to be phenomenal, likewise with his growls. The acoustic parts are peaceful yet haunting, creates a very interesting mood for the song.

"Beneath the Mire" has a very catchy keyboard / guitar riff throughout the song. Nice calm section about midway through the song, features clean vocals, creative solos, and acoustics. Serves as a nice break from the insanity that preceded it. A heavy solo follows and ends with a haunting passage.

"Hours of Wealth" is a superb ballad / softer song of sorts. This song is a testament to how good Akerfeldt's clean vocals are, and showcases a side of OPETH that I really like. The clean guitar riffs and solos are definitely a nice touch for the album. Overall a very nice peaceful song with an eerie mood.

"The Grand Conjuration" is a very heavy song, probably the heaviest on the album. The main riff has an interesting rhythm and is catchy. The solo around 3:25 with the main riff in the background makes this an amazing song. This song probably has the most death growls on it, at least some of the better ones.

All of the other songs are really good as well. "Ghost Reveries" is definitely one of OPETH's best and serves as a gateway to their other albums like it did for me. I highly recommend it to anyone, this is some phenomenal music and it might get you into a new genre.

SevDawg | 5/5 |