The Doors - Strange Days CD (album) cover

STRANGE DAYS

The Doors

Proto-Prog

Guillermo
5 stars My favourite album from The Doors.

From the cover design to the music in this album, everything is very good.

"Welcome to The Doors`World": dark, menacing, psychedelic, with poetic lyrics, very good arrangements. The Doors`and Morrison`s visions are very good. They let the listener to listen carefully to the music, to introduce himself in a fantastic world, to be caught in their strange atmospheres. This is a very "artisitic" album.

"Strange Days": the first dark song, with great musical atmospheres, which include the use of a synthesizer. Clearly, the addition of a good bassist helped the band a lot to sound better. Douglas Lubahn, who at that time was a member of another band signed to Elektra Records (called "Clear Light"), was a very good choice as guest bassist.

"You`re Lost Little Girl": another very good song, one of my favourites from this band, with very good atmospheric guitars by Krieger.

"Love Me Two Times": the obligatory single, still it is a good song, despite being played a lot on the Radio.

"Unhappy Girl":similar to "You`re Lost Little Girl", the lyrics of this song are about "confused women", with a bit of humour in the lyrics.

"Horse Latitudes": a brief dark song about horses trying to survive in the sea when one ship is trying to not sink during a storm. A great atmosphere of "horror" created by the lyrics and the use of tape effects and people screaming in the studio.

"Moonlight Drive": another of my favourite songs from this band, with very good keyboards, and some use of "perverse vocals" by Morrison. Densmore also plays very well.

"People are Strange": another enjoyable song, with dark atmospheres, with lyrics about a loner, I think.

"My Eyes Have Seen You": a Rock Pop ballad, a light moment in this album.

"I Can`t See Your Face in my Mind": a psychedelic song, with good use of a marimba by Manzarek, and backward cymbal effects.

"When the Music`s Over": in this song the Fender piano bass is used again. This song sounds like being recorded "live in the studio". A "revolutionary " song which also grows in intensity, like "The End" from the previous album, finishing it with a very good climax.

I think that this album is the most representative of the style of The Doors. It was recorded and released in 1967, which I consider a very good year for Rock music in general. The creative powers were free.

Guillermo | 5/5 |