Henry Fool - Men Singing CD (album) cover

MEN SINGING

Henry Fool

DrömmarenAdrian
2 stars Men singing? Unfortunately not; I miss a lot on this record. Henry Fool, considered a crossover band, is in my opinion rather an eclectic band or an avant-garde band. Does it make the music more interesting? Absolutely not!

First I was honoured to see my country's name in the first track's title. "Everyone in Sweden" gives a perfect view of Henry Fool's music and the record will continue in the same manner. Though, is the two first tracks more warm and a little more varied than the third and the fourth. I find the first track an interesting mixture of instruments in a landscape of sounds. Each ingredient sounds quite well for itself but the whole thing feels forced and not enough driving for me. A have a rather present need for melodies, which here's not satisfied. Still I think the first track is worth 6/10 stars. The second one is better: "Man singing" is though rawer but has also something of a melody and a beautiful flute in the end(6/10). "My favourite zombie dream" then(3/10) feels just unnice, chaotic and heavy and finally "Chic Hippo"(4/10) continues to make a painting of sounds which certainly is interesting but not pleasurable for my senses.

The classification of this record seems unjuste because I don't know how this could be considered clossover, I find it very alternative. The cover picture is nice and I am sure the musicians are both clever and innovative. But I am also sure this album isn't for anyone, even not here at a prog rock site. I am still glad I could listen to this and hope that others will think better of it.

DrömmarenAdrian | 2/5 |