Metallica - ... And Justice for All CD (album) cover

... AND JUSTICE FOR ALL

Metallica

thwok
4 stars And Justice For All... is almost Metallica at peak performance. For my money, Master of Puppets takes the gold medal. Only a couple of songs on And Justice For All... hold it back. Therefore, this release is a 4 star album for me.

One of the complaints often made about And Justice... refers to the sound quality. Although it could be a lot better, the sound quality does not ruin this album for me. Yes, the drums sound flat and you can barely hear the bass. However, I'm not an audiophile; I don't care as long as I can hear everything. I usually listen to my music with Windows Media Player. The graphic equalizer is the best feature, and takes care of any sound quality issues with whatever music I have playing.

Now that I've probably spent too much world wide web space not talking about the music, let's talk about the music. I think we can agree that And Justice... is one of the key albums in the history of metal. There's a reason that "One" and "And Justice..." are so familiar to millions of people. Metallica has stretched speed metal to its breaking point. This is one of those albums that exerted a huge influence on heavy metal/hard rock. For me, the only weak tracks are "Eye of the Beholder" and, to a lesser extent, "The Shortest Straw". I could easily live without them.

These two songs suggest an issue I'd like to comment on. And Justice... was originally released as a double album. Is anyone else bothered by double disc releases that are barely longer than the running time of a single disk? Do the record companies really need to release double discs just to make more money? I personally think getting rid of "Eye of the Beholder" would make And Justice a single LP and a better album! Most of the songs on And Justice... are Metallica near or at the top of their game. That's what earns And Justice for All... a 4 star rating.

thwok | 4/5 |