Genesis - Genesis CD (album) cover

GENESIS

Genesis

The T
3 stars After a poppy yet somewhat entertaining album like ABACAB, Genesis regrouped again to release the album with no name, better known as GENESIS for some fans, "SHAPES" to others, because of the various shapes drawn in the cover (which is pretty ugly, by the way). Did the band make a U-turn back into the progressive-rock business, or did it stay in the pop-radio-oriented course? Well, the answer is they didn't switch roads, they chose to remain in the same path.

But there were some changes. The first one: the use of electronic drums was becoming the norm, not an exception; the second: the studio itself had become a new instrument, a new tool to produce the final sound of Genesis' music. As in ABACAB, the guitar work is weak and the keyboards are used more with the typical 80's "synth" sound than with piano or mellotron sound.

Mama (7.5/10), a somewhat dark, atmospheric song that starts interesting enough, but gets a little repetitive as it develops.

That's All (7.5/10), a pleasant song. Very poppy, but the melody is very pretty.

Home By The Sea (8.5/10), this is a very good song, with good ideas, some thematic invention, some good singing by Phil Collins; it lacks really good instrumental parts a la old Genesis', but that doesn't take away from the fact that this is the best song in the album; near the end the synth takes over and it merges into the next track.

Second Home By The Sea (7.5/10), I've never been a fan of electronic drums, and especially when they are used to play the same pattern... I should praise the fact that this track is almost entirely instrumental, but there really isn't much in the way of themes or great melodies or solos, only a lot of synth and predictable guitar chords. Not bad, but not great. When the vocals return near the end, their reappearance is more than welcome.

Illegal Alien (0/10) I can't believe this exists. First, we have to mention the worst lyrics this side of... well, this side of everything I think. What were they thinking? Did they think the lyrics were funny? Ironic? A sarcastic yet deep comment about being an illegal alien? No, they are just stupid, and if one tries hard to feel it, actually insulting. Second: it features the worst accent ever by Collins. It may be a joke, I know but the accent is just the most annoying thing to ever reach my ears. Third, and final, the music itself: not even decent pop, not even decent rock, not even anything; I'm sure my cat can take a bass and a guitar and play something less childish and amateur that this song. Atrocious. Worst track in GENESIS' history.

Taking It All Too Hard (6.5/10), after the previous song, any mediocre track would sound like a classical masterpiece. It's not really up to that level or anything close, but it's a pretty little melodic tune that won't appeal to hardcore-prog lovers but as a pop song it's quite god.

Just A Job To Do (7/10), this is a decent song, nothing extraordinaire but enjoyable. Nothing progressive. Silver Rainbow (7/10), A minor track, it neither hurts or makes the album.

It's Gonna Get Better (7.5/10) A good closer for the album, with an ambiguous feeling due to the selection of chords in the verse.

Overall, a mediocre-to-good album that in ProgArchives rigid rating system would have to get a 3, instead of the 2.5 it would really deserve. Good as a rock-pop record, poor as a progressive-rock album. In the end, the music is enjoyable, and that's what really matters.

The T | 3/5 |