Electric Light Orchestra - Time CD (album) cover

TIME

Electric Light Orchestra

moodyxadi
3 stars Well, this is my first review and it's dedicated to my first ELO album. It seems a strange choice, but back in the college days everybody despised ELO as a sort of symbol of 70's worst music. I picked Time in a old-albums shop and was a little bit surprised. Actually "Twilight" was some kind of radio hit here in Brazil in the early 80's, and I remember listening to it when I was 8.

Like other reviewers have said, this is an album to be listened as a whole. If the main theme can be regarded as a little silly, the music that embodied it is very good: synth pop with little touches of prog. This isn't a prog album per se, but its aura and good pop music made it the last good production of ELO (IMO).

High points: Prologue-Twilight / Ticket to the moon / 21st century man / Hold on Tight

Low points: Here is the news / Another heart breaks

But be careful: this is not an album to be an introduction to ELO's world. If you're a newbie, try "A new world record" or "Out of the blue" to get a real impression of what ELO is: pop-prog a la Styx (but without the hard rock vein) is what ELO is about, like it or not.

I give 4 stars to this album itself. But as its "progginess" is low, I rate it 3 stars. Not for the casual listener, but very rewarding if you like ELO.

moodyxadi | 3/5 |