Genesis - Invisible Touch CD (album) cover

INVISIBLE TOUCH

Genesis

The T
2 stars Not the best GENESIS album, really.

I recently reviewed the two albums that came before this one: "Abacab" and "Genesis". The first one I found rather enjoyable, though not too proggy by any means. The second one wasn't looking so bad to me until I got to "Illegal Allien", arguably Genesis' worst song ever; nevertheless, the record had some decent songs and managed to get a 2.5-3 rating from me. So I was very scared as to the final outcome of my "Invisible Touch" experience, seeing that this is the most criticized, less-liked album in all the band's catalogue. But as always, I had to make my own mind. And now I'm ready to say that I agree with the general perception that this is GENESIS weakest effort. But i'ts not the atrocity I thought it was.

It would be fair to start talking about the positive things this album offers us: It doesn't have a truly atrocious song like "Illegal Alien" or "Who Dunnit" . Not one of the tracks here reaches the low levels those two disasters did, nor is any song absolutely impossible to bear. This is good, and could be understood as an improvement over its predecessors.

There's some bad things, though:

a) There's hardly any really great song. Some are OK, some are even good. Nothing out of the ordinaire.

b) Any resemblance to prog is, finally, dead. Here all songs are pure, un-disguised pop/rock. It's true that we still have two songs that are longer than usual ("Tonight, tonight, tonight" and "Domino"), but the first one is really an over-long rock/pop song, the second two rock/pop songs joined together in an awkward way.

c) Last: the use, throughout the whole recording, of electronic percussion and drums. If there's an instrument that can turn even the proggiest song into a poppier affair that's precisely a set of electronic percussion. They make the whole music sound so, "produced", so studio-made.

A brief word about the songs:

Invisible Touch (6.5/10). This is Genesis at their most pop. Enjoyable little pop track.

Tonight, Tonight, Tonight (7/10) the overall aura is not entirely rejectable, for it has a kind of atmosphere to it. The problem is that the track gets tiresome after a few minutes, because it gets going again and again over the same simple idea.

Land Of Confusion (7/10) this one I enjoyed just about the same I did "Invisible Touch"; it's somewhat melodic and enjoyable.

In Too Deep (5/10). You know, I actually like some of Phil Collins' songs, even some of his most mellow, sweet ones. He does know how to write decent ballads. This is not really his best, it feels like a sugar overdose mixed with a shot of a tranquilizer.

Anything She Does (5/10). The song's beginning is so Collins-like, you will be looking at the CD case again, trying to find ut if you didn't mistake one of his solo efforts for a GENESIS album. Funny song. Little song. Forgettable song.

Domino (5.5/10) I thought this was going to be proggiest than the rest when I looked at the track's length. But surely it's not. It's not bad, it's just that it feels cut down the middle, like if two songs that didn't have much in common were connected together by threads so weak that anytime the verses and words will starts falling all over. For a few seconds it feels proggy (actually like 10 seconds, at about the 6:30 minute mark), but it's a short lived sensation. It's rock/pop. Throwing It All Away (5.5/10) Another ultra-sweet song, this one is a little bit better than "In too deep", because it has some energy too it. Of course, it's not really a dynamic track.

The Brazilian (6/10) I've read a couple opinions saying this is the album's best track. In this case I have to disagree. It may be an instrumental piece, but it's not that brilliant. The main riff is melodic, likeable, but gets old soon. There's not enough change within the structure to make this track truly worthy of praise. A decent instrumental, nothing more.

That's my take on this much-bashed album. As rock/pop goes, it's not that bad. And I actually enjoyed it. As progressive-rock goes, is a zero.

The T | 2/5 |