Peter Gabriel - Us CD (album) cover

US

Peter Gabriel

evenless
4 stars "SO" had the 2 mega hit potential tracks "Sledgehammer" and "Big Time" on it. On "US" those 2 tracks would be "Steam" and "Digging in the Dirt". What do those tracks have in common besides being potential hits? I guess they are the most poppy tracks and therefore also maybe the least interesting tracks on the album. As they seem to be the tracks we get bored by sooner than by the others. Once again "radio overkill" isn't really helping here.

But if we look beyond those two tracks that I just mentioned, I guess what is left is a very interesting album. Once again Mr. Gabriel shows he's really a "word artist", collaborating with many international musicians and always an abundance of African instruments being played on his albums. I certainly love all different kind of drums and the flutes. Very wonderful and colourful instrumentation!

So what about the rating of "US". Actually I find it a bit difficult as I find "US" weaker than "SO". But then again I rated "SO" 4.5 stars and rounded it down to 4. I guess this album would be worthy a 3.8 rating.

evenless | 4/5 |