Iron Maiden - Killers CD (album) cover

KILLERS

Iron Maiden

siLLy puPPy
4 stars A decent 2nd effort for IRON MAIDEN where Eddie got an upgrade. Now instead of just peaking up from below he is a full fledged bad-ass with an axe dripping with blood and a nasty evil grin that means he's just done something very naughty.

The production got an upgrade as well. Martin Birch joined the team and so much did the band like his talent that he stuck around until the album 'Fear Of The Dark.' The sound is noticeably better than the debut but still is of the 80s.

Out was Dennis Stratton due to musical incompatibilities and in was Adrian Smith thus adding on yet another classic member. The Wishbone Ash dual guitar harmonies were here to stay though and getting more melodic and ferocious.

This was Paul Di'Anno's second and final stint as vocalist offering yet again his punkish vocal talents but it was clear by now that the band was evolving into a more dynamic powerhouse and Di'Anno's vocals were no longer cutting it as his voice sounds a little strained at times trying to hit the high notes. MAIDEN was clearly evolving past their punk roots and moving like troopers into more progressive territory and the lead singer's drug and alcohol abuse were keeping him from evolving with them.

This is a great sophomore release but overall I like it slightly less than the debut. This is one of the earlier albums that I have always brushed aside because I preferred the debut and all the following albums better, but as i'm sitting here listening to this now I am questioning my sanity for not including it more often to get my MAIDEN fix.

siLLy puPPy | 4/5 |