DeadSoul Tribe - A Murder Of Crows CD (album) cover

DeadSoul Tribe

Experimental/Post Metal

evenless
4 stars Awesome!

From the beautiful cover from cover artist Travis Smith we can already see this album should be special. I know we normally don't discuss covers on PA, but I would just like to draw your attention a bit to it, because Mr. Travis Smith (a.k.a. seempieces) surely has made some of the best progressive rock covers of all time! Just to name a few bands he has made several covers for are:

. Anathema . Deadsoul Tribe . God Forbid . Katatonia . Opeth . Riverside

Back to the album. I got this magnificent cd after reading all the good reviews on PA. I must admit I was a bit hesitant to get this album at first as I only knew Devon Graves from AYREON's Human Equation and I wasn't particular a great fan of his vocals on that album. However; I must have been wrong, because after listening to A Murder Of Crows multiple times I can only say that he's got a great voice!

The songs on this album vary quite a bit from delicate to heavy, but there always seems to be a link between them and actually quite often the songs flow over in each other, or it just seems to be that way. What I like a lot about Deadsoul Tribe is that even in the softer "vocal" tracks the guitar riffs always are quite heavy blending "soft" and "heavy" as I haven't heard it before. This album is quite progressive and I noticed it took some time to "grow" on me, but once it did, it Deadsoul Tribe became one of my favourite "progressive" metal bands next to Katatonia , Opeth , Riverside and Green Carnation .

I am not going to review this album track by track as it feels like one stunning experience to me and I think you should always just play this record from start to finish: the way it was meant to be!

4 stars given, but actually closer to 4.5 stars!

evenless | 4/5 |