Audience - Audience CD (album) cover

AUDIENCE

Audience

kingdhansak
4 stars A pretty unique sounding record and band for that matter. An interesting blend of folk, blues and jazz influences are all in this melting pot we know as AUDIENCE. The folky egde can be found in Howard Werth's classical guitar playing. As far as I can think he never went electric. The slightly jazzy side provded with Keith Gemmel's woodwind. They often remind me of a less doomy, unplugged version of VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR. Ironic, as they were later to be labelmates.

The album kicks off the band nicely before the more experimental sounds that would follow. Nice rural and very English sounding tunes throughout, well performed and with some thoughtful lyrics to boot. Howard Werth's vocals may not to be to everyone's taste, but they complement the music here beautifully. Reminds me of a more 'nasal' version of MICK JAGGER. Many may argue against that though.

Nice record!