King Crimson - The ConstruKction of Light  CD (album) cover

THE CONSTRUKCTION OF LIGHT

King Crimson

OpethGuitarist
2 stars Ripping off themselves

Not only this, but the vocals in track 1 sound as if from a drunk. This was the worst of KC other than the deplorable Beat. Most of the songs here feel like ripoffs of material they've already done, and while I'll admit there's a similarity between a lot of KC works, here it's more noticeable and less unique, especially LTIA Pt 4 which sounds like a poor version of LTIA Pt 2.

I would never start someone here with KC, unless I just happened to not like the band and didn't want them to like KC either. It's not dog terrible, but with a band with such a large catalog, there's so much other material that's infinitely better. The fact that Belew sounds drunk on track 1 just turns me off, even if that is the desired effect, it's not very enjoyable. Certainly the instrumental effects have lost their luster with the loss of the great KC musicians, with only Fripp and Belew remaining.

I really get very little out of this record, but it is better than Beat, if that means anything. More a rocker than a progger, but not exactly any enjoyable rock tunes. Stay away from unless you want all of KC's discography, as I do.

OpethGuitarist | 2/5 |