Frank Zappa - Burnt Weeny Sandwich CD (album) cover

BURNT WEENY SANDWICH

Frank Zappa

RIO/Avant-Prog

Mellotron Storm
4 stars ZAPPA truly made this record like a sandwich with the bread being the first and last songs, both silly but well done doo-wop tunes. But it's the amazing instrumental music that is in between that makes this a must have ZAPPA record. If you like "Hot Rats" then I think you will love the over 35 minutes of accessible instrumental music that is offered here.

"Igor's Boogie Phase One" is a tribute to one of ZAPPA's heroes Igor Stravinsky, and the percussion is pretty cool. "Igor's Boogie Phase Two" is much like the first one. "Overture To A Holiday In Berlin" has some nice orchestration and a brief but well done sax solo. "Theme From Burnt Weeny Sandwich" is such a good instrumental that is guitar driven with some orchestration.

"Holiday In Berlin Full Blown" is a beautiful display of sax, xylophone, piano and guitar solos. Great tune. "Aybe Sea" I suppose d, e, f should follow. Anyway Ian Underwood gives us some excellent piano melodies on this one but not before we are treated to some harpichord. "Little House I Used To Live In" is almost 19 minutes long and opens with a long piano melody that has been continued from the previous song. The song becomes uptempo with drums, horns, piano and most of all electric violin melodies. Just a brilliant tune.

This one surprised me, I wasn't expecting so much serious and amazing instrumental music. If you can put up with the two doo-wop songs you'll find a treasure of instrumental music.

Mellotron Storm | 4/5 |