Opeth - Ghost Reveries CD (album) cover

GHOST REVERIES

Opeth

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

asimplemistake
5 stars Absolutely amazing. This was the first I ever heard of Opeth, and even now I find it to be one of (if not) their best CD. Now, just to start things off:

Before Opeth, long long ago, I could not stand any sort of growling or screaming. I found it extremely distasteful and just annoying. It should also be noted that it took me a very long time to get used to Opeth's growling.

Now why is it that Opeth was the first band with screaming/growling I could stand? Well, maybe it's the beautiful soft breaks in many of their heavy songs. Maybe it's the huge dynamic range the band shows. Maybe it's the awesome heavy riffs. Maybe it's that Opeth has a sound that no other band really has. Or it could be I love the sound quality of this album. Actually, I think its all of those (in fact, it is!).

The first song of Opeth's I ever really heard was "Beneath the Mire". I enjoyed the groove of the song and the beautiful middle section, so I decided to get the whole CD (even though I couldn't quite stand the growling yet). I was very surprised by what I heard.

"Ghost of Perdition" scared me at first. Well, not scared, but i was...greatly surprised. It's got some great singing parts in it (I love the section 'Devil cracked the earthly shell, foretold she was the one...') and also some great riffs. "The Baying of the Hounds" is one of the best on this CD. Starts heavy, gets soft, gets heavy, gets soft again, and heavy. The best part is that it flows ever so perfectly. It's very entertaining while maintaining musicality. "Beneath the Mire" as I said earlier has that cool groove and nice middle section.

"Atonement" is kind of an experiment for the band. I really enjoy its hypnotizing sounds and nice, though short, melodies. "Harlequin Forest" is definitely my favorite song on this album. I love the singing and the cool heavy riffs, though the real reason this song stands out is the perfectly melodic acoustic middle section. "Hours of Wealth" continues with soft sounds, the keys really add a lot to this song.

"The Grand Conjuration" is a song that I could never really get into as much as the rest. The sound here is more modernized, if that is the correct term, than the rest of Opeths sound, and it does not fit in as well. "Isolation Years" is the only song on this album that is not a part of the concept (it is actually a concept album except for this one song). Still a great soft song. Again I love the keys.

So if you're one of those people who just can't listen to an album with screaming, just try to approach this album with an open mind. I did that and now it's my favorite album. Definitely a masterpiece.

asimplemistake | 5/5 |