Aragon - Don't Bring The Rain CD (album) cover

DON'T BRING THE RAIN

Aragon

Prog-jester
4 stars Rather high rating for such album. I'll explain why.

I have always been a fan of NEO PROGRESSIVE POP-ROCK, which I'd also call "proto- Neo-Prog" ;) To give a guess what is that, I'll give some examples of the "genre": 80s PENDRAGON, Menel's IQ, most material from TWELFTH NIGHT and 80s PALLAS, Fish- era MARILLION B-sides...The perfect song that matches for this definition is MARILLION's "Charting the Single". Don't think that this is Prog-related Pop like TEARS FOR FEARS or something - these bands are certainly progressive, but they're also influenced by 80s New Wave/Pop Music.

ARAGON is another perfect example. Even epic songs like "Company Of Wolves" and "The Crucifixion" have this poppish flavour which I adore! Maybe it hails from early MARILLION, but they were certainly more progressive...Anyway, on ARAGON's debut we have that Neo-Prog-Pop-Rock with high-pitched emotional vocals (very good), synth drums and bass(not that much irritating I must admit, very suitable) and nice guitar/ keys work (just listen to "Crucifixion" coda!). I must mention two songs that impressed me most - "The Cradle" and "Gabrielle", both ballads of IQ or even MARILLION level!

After all - despite the 4 stars given by me, this is NOT an album for everybody, even Neo-lovers. Be sure that you're also have that 80s nostalgia before checking this album out. If you're sure - then don't hesitate and go ahead! Good luck!

Prog-jester | 4/5 |