Frank Zappa - Hot Rats CD (album) cover

Frank Zappa

Prog 74
4 stars I'm not typically a Frank Zappa fan, but I love this album. Perhaps it's because on this album Zappa gets down to business. No satire. No juvenile songs. Just music. And on this album Zappa really plays his ass off. Absolutely phenomenal! He shreds like a madman! I really think Zappa could have given Jimi Hendrix a run for his money if he choose to play guitar like this all the time. Sure, this is a jazz-rock album. One of the first of it's kind actually. But, the emphasis here is more on the rock then on the jazz. Yes, it's a bit quirky. But, what Zappa album isn't? Only one song features any vocals, 'Willie the Pimp', and those are courtesy of Captain Beefheart (who I generally cannot stand). However, here Captain Beefheart just sounds like an old bluesman and is not too annoying. My personal favorite song on the album is 'The Gumbo Variations'. Zappa is on fire here! Just some really amazing guitar work. 'Peaches en Regalia' is another highlight and has a really lovely melody. Something you don't typically say of a Zappa tune. For those of you typically put off by Zappa's weirdness and his juvenile antics give this album a try. It's still a little off-beat, but in a pleasant way. A great addition to any prog-rock collection.
Prog 74 | 4/5 |