Kamelot - The Black Halo CD (album) cover

THE BLACK HALO

Kamelot

asimplemistake
3 stars This is a very good album, my favorite of Kamelot's. My only problem with it is that the songs here are not super progressive according to my definition, although there are some points of it that are (I will go into more detail later). This CD does rock though, with very nice guitar work, and perfect vocals by Khan. He does have a great singing voice, even live (based off of what I saw on their DVD).

The sound on this album is very nice, and the songs are very well composed. The keyboards add a lot here. I like how they got Shagrath to do some vocals (even though I never knew who he was before), he does make the intro to "March of Mephisto" very cool with the Latin speech. I'm just going to mention once again how wonderful Khan's voice is. He has a nice vibrato and it fits in with the music very well. Drums are there but not necessarily amazing. The music in general is very melodic and also powerful, so I (and I'm sure most other people) consider them to play Melodic Power Metal, but not really Progressive.

The reason I have trouble calling this album progressive is that, in my opinion, it doesn't break the Power Metal barrier much. The drums and guitar parts are simple throughout a lot of the album, and in general the sound/vibe of the band doesn't deviated from the normal Power Metal sound that I've heard before. I must admit though that I am not by any means an expert on Power Metal, because it does not appeal to me much.

I am sad that I have to give The Black Halo a 3 stars because I do like the music, but it isn't the best addition to a progressive music collection. It is still very good, and I would recommend it to any fan of prog metal or power metal.

3.4 stars - good/great but not essential