Queensr˙che - Rage For Order  CD (album) cover

RAGE FOR ORDER

Queensr˙che

Mellotron Storm
3 stars This was a big let down after the amazing "The Warning".The band here gets away from the straight forward Metal of their previous release to a more experimental, keyboard driven sound. I know for most people this is a good thing and it does pave the way for "Operation Mindcrime", but i miss the crunch of "The Warning". And besides this record has a lot of tracks I would call weak, although the opening three tracks are what makes this a good album.

"Walk In The Shadows" is a straight forward,commercial sounding tune but it works some how. Good opener. "I Dream In Infrared" is almost ballad-like and Tate is in fine form. Nice guitar solo 3 minutes in. "The Whisper" opens with a memorable guitar melody and Tate again sounds great ! "Gonna Get Close To You" is a song I detest, especially the bonus track version where it sounds like they are using electronic drums. It really sounds like eighties crap to me.

"The Killing Words" has a keyboard intro and a good soaring guitar melody that turns into screaming solo.The bass work is great as well. "Surgical Strike" and "Neue Regal" are both ok. "Chemical Youth (We are Rebellion)" is a good uptempo rocker. "London" features slowly pounding drums with vocals while the synths come in during the chorus. Good tune. "Sceaming In Digital" is a hard one for me to get into with the theatrical vocals. The drumming is prominant and a good guitar solo stands out. "I Will Remember" is a good ballad-like song with reserved vocals and acoustic guitar.

Good record but definitely not essential by any means.

Mellotron Storm | 3/5 |