Opeth - Blackwater Park CD (album) cover

BLACKWATER PARK

Opeth

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

Badabec
4 stars This album was my introduction into Progressive Metal. First I have to say that I usually cannot take up with (Death) Metal. I am not able to listen to bands like CANNIBAL CORPSE, SIX FEET UNDER etc. for a longer time span because they have to less melody for my taste and I still have huge problems to get into such Progressive Metal bands as for example SYMPHONY X (who do not tend to Death Metal at all). A friend of mine once introduced me to OPETH and as I heard it for the first time I had my problems but whilst giving the band a try with the help of BLACKWATER PARK I have to admit that I started liking OPETH's music more and more. In my opinion this band is very different to all the other Death Metal bands (allright they are no pure Death Metal band, however). It seems melodious and exciting to me, it is well composed and has negotiated the lyrical directness of death metal which usually deals with death, violence and splatter. Many albums of this great swedish Porgressive Metal band follow a concept, the lyrics describe self-invented, fantastic and sad stories and are emphasised by the change of stolid, heavy, distorted riffs and beautiful, melancholic acoustic parts.

I personally think that BLACKWATER PARK is a good album to start with OPETH. It is very diversified, adrift and to my mind not very difficult to get into. Together with the sophisticated guitar work the keyboard appears more often on this CD than on the group's previous releases. It seems to me that the keys gain more and more influence in the band, as is proven by OPETH's later works. However, this review is about BLACKWATER PARK and not about GHOST REVERIES or DELIVERANCE. So, what marks this CD?

As already said, it is very diversified and adrift, but I think this counts for most of OPETH's works. BLACKWATER PARK creates a sweeping, melancholic mood that is garnished by the excellent chant of MIKAEL ÄKERFELDT and the pleasing instrumental work of him and all the other band members. Allright, you got me, guys! It is a typical OPETH album. And that is good! A big compliment to the band by me for this excellent output. I strongly recommend you this album.

Badabec | 4/5 |