Rush - Fly By Night CD (album) cover

FLY BY NIGHT

Rush

Unitron
3 stars After Rush's Zeppelin influenced debut, their sophomore release shows that they have already began to experiment with Prog and become the Rush we know and love today. Original drummer John Rutsey has left the group due to diabetes disabling him from touring,and he has been replaced by master drummer Neil Peart, quickly marking a change in the groups sound. The first change in sound you will notice is probably longer time signatures, instead of just a proggy "Here Again" you get Rush's first epic "By-Tor and the Snow Dog"! Track by Track:

1: Anthem, What an opener! "Anthem", in my opinion, is truly one of the best hard rock opening tracks I have ever heard. Even more Proto-Metal then the more blues-rock based "Finding My Way" on their first album. Lifeson really strikes gold on this track, I love the blasting riffs on this track. My favorite from this album. (10/10)

2: Best I Can is a weak track, yet it is certainly more enjoyable then the filler on the last album. It has some decent riffs and decent lyrics, so this song is O.K. (5/10)

3: Beneath,Between,and Behind may be short, but it is still a really strong track. Some great riffs on this one. (9/10)

4: By-Tor and the Snow Dog is Rush's first epic, and a really good one at that. Sure, it can't compare to such masterpieces as Fountain of Lamneth, 2112, or Cygnus X-1 but it's a great start. What really stands out here is the bridge,with some very experimental guitar riffs and some amazing drumming from Peart, almost has an ambient feel to it. (9/10)

5: Fly by Night is another weak track, sadly being the most popular song from this album. I feel that it doesn't really go anywhere, it's not bad, just mediocre in my opinion. (4.5/10)

6: Making Memories is probably a guilty pleasure for me, it's folk-influenced sound is really catchy(I usually don't like folk). kind of weak, yet catchy and enjoyable. (6.5/10)

7: Rivendell is the weakest track on the album. Yes, it is about one of my favorite books/movies "The Lord of the Rings", yet it is just a very boring ballad, that like the title track, doesn't go anywhere. total filler. (1/10)

8: In the End is another great album closer, this song still shows some Zeppelin influence, yet it has some of Rush's own style in it. An improvement on the debut. (9/10)

This album was the first Rush album that really showed any signs of Prog, but unfortunately it's an album that has filler that takes away from the immersion. a good 3.5 for me. but,ill round it up to a four because of Anthem and By-Tor.

Hope you found this review helpful.

Unitron | 3/5 |