Rush - Hemispheres CD (album) cover

HEMISPHERES

Rush

Unitron
5 stars Rush-Hemispheres: Another Masterpiece.

After leaving their last masterpiece, A Farewell to Kings, on an amazing cliffhanger epic, Rush has released their follow-up album a year later. Hemispheres virtually maintains the style of AFTK. Honestly, it took me a few listens to fully enjoy Hemispheres, for me, it's an album that you really have to listen deeply a few times in order to fully appreciate it.

1: Hemispheres: Cygnus X-1 Book II continues where Book I left off. This 18 minute long epic starts out with some guitar similar to Xanadu from the last album before moving into marching metal riffs. I love how the guitar perfectly flows in and out of a sweet and soft melody, really is a great start. Then you have excellent catchy cymbals from Peart and flowing keyboard with some great bursts of bass, reminding me of Yes, which perfectly compliments the other instruments here. The heavy guitar and vocals kick in, and instantly it has a very similar mood as AFTK. Great guitar melodies and keyboard flow nicely, ending part I of the epic. Part II of the epic starts off with some riffs similar to the very beginning of the song. More soft melodies kick in, with some inspirational lyrics, flowing from heavy to soft. A nice guitar solo is snuck into the middle of the transitions. From here on the music remains virtually the same for a while, until awesome droning metal riffs come in. Lee then chimes in with menacing vocals before getting lighter, and some Space rock keyboards compliment the guitar until the guitar starts crunching and ends another part of the epic. Guitar melodies similar to those at the very end of Book I come in with a dark ambient atmosphere. The song then becomes an atmospheric track with a very space rock feel to it, and Lee uses lower vocals for this part of the song. It builds up again bringing melodies from the beginning back, with another nice guitar solo. The epic ends with some beautiful acoustics, and nice soft vocals. A great end to a great epic, but not nearly as good as Book I. (8/10)

2: Circumstances is my favorite song from this album, It may be short, but it has some great riffs by Lifeson. I love everything about this song, the riffs and the lyrics. At the bridge there is a nice light-hearted keyboard roll that is complimented by nice percussion. It then comes back to the melodies from the beginning. This song shows perfectly how intricate Rush can be even with short songs. (10/10)

3: The Trees is the most popular song from this album, and I can understand why. Even though it isn't my favorite from this album, I love the metaphorical lyrics using trees to bring up social issues. It has a nice bridge with an interesting range of percussion and some more Yes-similar bass. A good song, using metaphors in such a unique way. (8/10)

4: La Villa Strangiato is a masterpiece of intrumentals. Starting out with some sweet acoustics, flowing into really catchy bass and guitar compliments. LVS has a lot of elements that would later be heard on Moving Pictures, especially in the riffing. Then you get a slow and menacing ambient jam, with an amazing guitar solo by Lifeson and steady drumming by Peart. Now comes one of my favorite parts of this song, the guitar slowly builds up and some great metal riffs come in where you can't help but bang your head. Throw in Lee's amazing bass with Peart's awesome cymbal work you get something great. It just keeps coming, guitar solos and metal riffs, I think the guitar riffs might be the most amazing part of this song. The riffs just keep changing and surprising you, and ends abruptly with a guitar slash. A true masterpiece. (10/10)

So Hemispheres, yet another favorite of mine, is right up there with AFTK and COS. Just as good as COS, and very close to being as good as AFTK. Hemispheres is essential to any Rock collection just as much as AFTK is. Highly Reccomended! A full 10 Stars like AFTK.

Hope you found this review helpful.

Unitron | 5/5 |