Led Zeppelin - Houses Of The Holy CD (album) cover

HOUSES OF THE HOLY

Led Zeppelin

Mellotron Storm
4 stars 4.5 stars.This is my third favourite ZEPPELIN album. And if it wasn't for "The Crunge" and "D'yer Maker" this would be a 5 star record in my opinion. I actually like the variety that is found on this album, I just could have done without the funky "The Crunge" (should have been the cringe), that makes me wonder if they were doing this as a tribute to James Brown or someone else from the early beginnings of rock and roll. "D'yer Maker" brings to mind the reggae style of music and is at least something I can listen to. Now the rest.

"The Song Remains The Same" is a song that just makes me feel so good. I love the guitar that seems to overlap everything else. "California sunshine..." Oh yeah ! "The Rain Song" is about "the seasons of emotions". How beautiful is this song. Waves of mellotron as well in this one. 5 minutes in it really gets quite passionate with some beautiful guitar melodies.

"Over The Hills And Far Away" features some more intricate guitar work from Page. I like the way the song builds. Robert is in fine form as well. "I live for my dream and a pocket full of gold.." "Dancing Days" is another great song. I like the guitar melody to open. "No Quarter" is one of their best ! Synths, bass and drumming are all incredible. Nice piano later as well. "The Ocean" opens rather bombastically. Plant is nothing short of amazing ! Great lyrics as well.

I've never understood why this isn't loved more by ZEPPELIN fans. Maybe it's because it followed "IV" I don't know, but if you don't have it. Do yourself a favour and get it.

Mellotron Storm | 4/5 |