Knight Area - Under A New Sign CD (album) cover

UNDER A NEW SIGN

Knight Area

Tarcisio Moura
4 stars While I enjoyed Knight Area´s debut very much, I did not really think it was the masterpiece some reviewers claimed to be. It was good, but not really exceptional. It was, after all, a well done neo prog album with nothing really new. So I was not very eager to get their new release, Under A New Sign, but, boy, am I glad I did! The Klavinga brothers & co did a fine job here! While their first CD sounded like it was made by a loose agregation of musicians, this is much more a team efford, and it shows. The music is tighter, a little heavier in some parts, still very melodic and beautiful. Certainly the the songwriting improved a lot also, but Knight Area is sounding like a band now. And a very good band!

The use of vintage keyboards (Mellotron, Hammond Organ, Fender Rhodes, etc) is a plus and sometimes the tunes remind me of the great IQ, sometimes of Eloy, still they have their own personality. The guitars soar, bass and drums, everyhting, even Mark Smit´s voice, is better now. If you liked their first CD, you´ll probably love the new one. I did. If you´re into classic neo prog, in the vein of early Marillion, Pendragon, IQ, Pallas, etc. you can´t miss this one.

A nice surprise. Great work, Knight Area. Highly recommended!

Tarcisio Moura | 4/5 |