Gentle Giant - Acquiring the Taste CD (album) cover

Gentle Giant

3 stars Uneven album.

Gentle Giants second album is and uneven affair. Acquiring starts of good with a King Crimson type track in Pantagruel's Nativity. It got a nice riff that repeats itself through the song. And thats what I feel this album is, lots of nice riffs filled in with some unfocused melodies.

Wreck is an example of an uninspired track where the chorus "Hey, Hey Yeah! Hold On!" is repeated way to many times. After I have finished listentnig to this album I feel nothing

In the liner nots one can read "It is our goal to expand the frontiers of contemporary popular music at the risk of being very unpopular", and this statement sounds like an defensive.

Its not a bad record, but it aint that great either.

3 stars