Spiral Architect - A Sceptic's Universe CD (album) cover

A SCEPTIC'S UNIVERSE

Spiral Architect

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

asimplemistake
2 stars Ehh, this album just doesn't do it for me. Sure, these guys can play, but there are many many things lacking from this music. I'm huge into progressive metal, but this stuff never caught my attention too much.

I used to listen to this album. Not too much, but some. The problem was that it was just constantly them trying to play really fast and to play incredibly technical music. The bigger problem is that there's no tone at all in this band. Theres no deep lows cause the bass is just little "bouncy" sound cause he plays so fast that deep bass would be bad. The guitars, too, just play with a lot of treble. The singing takes it even further, with high pitched singing that's just made to go along with whatever time signature they choose.

One more thing, there is no progression in these songs. None of the songs are very memorable except for maybe a few parts. The best song I think is "Fountainhead", but it's still lacking to me. None of these songs can be remembered cause they all sound the same.

Sure these guys can play, but they need to learn to get some tone to the band and some meaning behind the music. An example of a band that does this well while maintaining the complexity is Zero Hour. Sorry guys, but this just isn't that amazing. For Fans Only.

asimplemistake | 2/5 |