Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti CD (album) cover

Led Zeppelin

4 stars Forget about Beck, Clapton, or Richards...

Rock and roll is Jimmy Page and John Bonham.

Zeppelin was the first band I was obsessed with back in my teen years. Though I don't play them much anymore they still floor me when I do throw them on. Pagey was a masterful arranger of the material in the studio and the best rock guitarist. Guitar purists will huff about how sloppy he was compared to his rivals. Who cares!! It's about the music and the emotion in the solo, and Page cooked his peers on both counts. And Bonham will always be one of the most powerful live drummers to witness.

Graffiti is exactly one half 5-star album and one half 3-star album. Were the album condensed down to the better half, you'd have Zeppelins finest work. Here's the 5-star tracks: Custard, Rover, Dying, In the Light, Bron-yr-aur, Seaside, Wanton Song, and Ten Years Gone. Yeah Kashmir is OK too but has been ruined for me by radio overkill. I actually think that The Rover and Ten Years Gone are among Zep's very best tracks, alongside Achilles, Tea for one, SRTS, Rain Song, Stairway, Since I've been loving you, Battle of Evermore.

If you have no Zeppelin yet (is there anyone left who doesn't?), pick up this one, Presence, and one of the live ones as your first three to experience their best material overall. Obviously if you're a blues fan you'll want the first two and some live stuff.

Finnforest | 4/5 |