Captain Beyond - Sufficiently Breathless CD (album) cover

Captain Beyond

4 stars I have a tendency to compare Captain Beyond's "Sufficiently Breathless" to that of Atomic Rooster's "In Hearing Of". Whereas the first Captain Beyond release is considered a "classic" not unlike Atomic Rooster's "Death Walks Behind You", the follow-up LPs to both bands collectively used some "outside help", albeit; to incorporate variety and progressive influences. Wheareas, the first Captain Beyond and Atomic Rooster's "Death Walks Behind You" are generally considered early-heavy metal classics, the follow-up LPs to the aforementioned seem to take more chances.

For instance, on this Captain Beyong LP(_Sufficiently Breathless_), I found "Drifting In Space" to sound a lot like something that would appear on Rush's "Caress Of Steel" or "A Farewell To Kings", whereas "Bright Blue Tango" might show up on Santana's "Caravanserai"-period LPs. I guess what you'll get when you buy this album is variety, but somehow it all sounds like "Captain Beyond" to me due to the stellar vocals of Rod Evans. On Atomic Rooster's "In Hearing Of", you'll get some "funk/soul" influences, with Captain Beyond's "Sufficiently Breathless", you'll get latin and pre-Rush influences (whether it's coincidental or not, I have no idea).

Gooner | 4/5 |