Fred Frith - Guitar Solos CD (album) cover

GUITAR SOLOS

Fred Frith

RIO/Avant-Prog

Slartibartfast
3 stars And now for something completely different. As the first reviewer pointed out, this is not what most people think of when they think of guitar solos. Someone should really arrest this man for cruelty to guitars!

This is apparently his third appearance on an official album and his first solo effort. My introduction to Fred Frith was his work with Brian Eno on Before and After Science released four years after. I wonder if this was the stuff that caught Eno's attention?

For me, this is really difficult listening music. I always believe in having some in my collection and this one has been there since sometime shortly after 1991, when the Rec Rec label version was released. It was a fairly early addition to my CD collection, but I have to say I've kept it more as a curiosity than something I'm really drawn to listen to. Sitting down and listening to it on headphones as I write this I can see/hear there's more to it than you might notice with the casually listening ear/eye.

Slartibartfast | 3/5 |