Quiet Sun - Mainstream CD (album) cover

Quiet Sun

Canterbury Scene

4 stars MMMMM, always been a bit thrown by the term Canterbury, if the band doesn't actually come from there. (I don't think they do anyway, please let me know if I'm wrong). I can see why this catergory has come up though. Influences of mid 70's SOFT MACHINE are present as well as some snatches of BRAND X maybe. A little less of the jazz than those 2 and a pinch more of the prog.

On listening to this one, you think you are listening to an instrumental LP until the vocals kick in bizzarley half way through the final track. All titles are well played and show great skill from all concerned, without being totaly over complex. Star of the show for me would have to be keyboard player Dave Jarrett. A lot of versatile sounds are made from him, notably his fuzz/distorted organ (SOFT MACHINE sound) to heavily reverbed electric piano, which create some great atmospheres.

The music can range between mellow and dramatic at the drop of a hat. Highly entertaining. Despite having Mr Manzanera on the axe, this is a far cry from anything ROXY MUSIC ever did. Would appeal highly to any fans of the jazz/prog genre. A good'un.

kingdhansak | 4/5 |