Agalloch - Pale Folklore CD (album) cover

Agalloch

Experimental/Post Metal

petrica
3 stars

It is very surprising that the band originates in USA Portland Oregon because this kind of music is produced in Scandinavian countries mostly. The albums starts with She Painted Fire Across The Skyline which is distributed over three parts. This part has a very good atmosphere with some gothic and experimental/post- rock/black metal influences. They switched then to a very light and spacey instrumental song on The Misshapen Steed (I found this one very enjoyable). Then we have a typical gothic sound on Hallways Of Enchanted Ebony for almost 10 minute. This is a very good song probably the best one here. The next song (Dead Winter Days) has maybe the most preeminent black metal influence from the entire release and for me it doesn't look like something which should be considered progressive in whichever way. Nonetheless the music is not boring most of the time and the musician are switching from one style to another without letting the listener to get bored.

For their effort with this release I would give 3.5 stars mainly because I don't think that this album can be considered as being progressive. Some progressive parts which should be considered as progressive are present but are not predominant (the most important maybe the combination of different types of genres).If you like gothic/black metal/experimental music than this album is for you.

petrica | 3/5 |