John Petrucci - Suspended Animation CD (album) cover

SUSPENDED ANIMATION

John Petrucci

Drew
2 stars I assume that anyone who would attempt to listen to this album would be fans of Dream Theater and/or Liquid Tension so I will write my review with that in mind.

In short, if you really enjoy Liquid Tension for all its subtleties and musicianship, I say STAY AWAY. However, if you are a HARD CORE Dream Theater fan, and one that enjoys guitar solo after solo, then maybe this album will be a welcomed addition to your collection.

I listened to this album 1 1/2 times and that's all i could take. At one point I though to myself, "Why listen to John here, when I could be listening to Dream Theater or Liquid Tension?" John is an excellent guitarist, but I feel he needs a better supporting cast, and help with his songwriting skills. Many of the songs on here are VERY forgetful, too lengthy, and have no progressiveness at all.

2 stars seems a perfect fit for this album. If you REALLY love John- then this is a good (not great) pickup- however, I would not advise any prog fan to do so when there is so much excellent stuff out there, waiting to be listened to, or discovered.

Drew | 2/5 |