Gustavo Jobim - Retrospect 2013 CD (album) cover

Gustavo Jobim

Progressive Electronic

Tarcisio Moura
4 stars Retrospect 2013 is the second compilation by the talented and prolific musician from Brazil. Contrary to Retrospect 00-2012, this one is entirely made up of tracks taken from albums he recorded and/or released in 2013: Connection, Manifesto, Stream and Inverno. Again there are 9 tracks, eight are his usual electronic stuff, with strong influences of the Berlin school of the 70´s krautrock scene, and one is a piano piece, where he shows the acoustic minimalist style of songwriters like Erik Satie.

Although I´m not an electronic music fan, much less an expert at that genre, I found this CD to be extremely well done and more varied than the first, maybe because the first track Biomekanik reminds of Kraftwerk, one the few electronic groups that I really liked at the time. But overall this is a very good CD and even if I do prefer a more melodic and "normal" approach on music I found Jobim´s music of the highest quality, someone who understood and learned from the masters but still has an original and personal touch all around. The production is top notch. And I also liked very much the artwork of his albums.

If you like electronic music you shouldn´t miss the chance to get to know this artist. And I think both compilations are a fine intro to his already large discography. Both are available for free at his site (

Rating: 4 stars, no doubt.

Tarcisio Moura | 4/5 |