Rick Wakeman - White Rock  CD (album) cover

Rick Wakeman

3 stars When this album was released, I initially felt disappointed, as it's lacking in the exuberant solos that made THE SIX WIVES and even KING ARTHUR such a pleasure. It's a soundtrack, and as such it's closer in spirit to Brian Eno's MUSIC FOR FILMS than anything else Wakeman has done. Throughout the years, I've gradually come to appreciate its qualities. The way Wakeman uses his extensive keyboard arsenal to produce the most colourful effects is admirable. It's ingenuity rather than virtuosity that counts, although a jolly little polka here and a sensitive piano ballad there only add to the fun! My favourite track on WHITE ROCK is "Lax'x", probably the most experimental thing Wakeman has ever composed: a sublime little tone poem in just under five minutes.

Three and a half stars, I guess. Essential to everyone who wants to know "another side of Rick Wakeman".

fuxi | 3/5 |