Queensr˙che - Operation : Mindcrime II CD (album) cover

OPERATION : MINDCRIME II

Queensr˙che

Gatot
2 stars I have always enjoyed concept album because of the brilliant ideas from musicians that emerged into story line. With that story line, the musicians compose a stream of music in the modes that suit the story line. Even though in most of cases I don't really care about what story the musicians try to tell us, understanding the overall theme is interesting to explore for me. The case was true when I listened to Queensryche first "Operation: Mindcrime" for the first time. In fact, that was my first experience with the band because initially I thought that Queeensryhe was not a prog bad, it's typical glam rock bands that emerged aroung the eighties. Thanks to the net that made me connected to the information super highway where I finally found a rave review about "Operation: Mindcrime" album. Since then I explored further the music of Queensryche, even though I was not a gie hard fan. For sure, I like the band because of its clean sound and good composition.

When I heard that the concept album was about to be continued into second part, I did not expect a lot about what would be the final product. Why? It's because I think the band just tried to re-awake the glory days of their past by using the same album name and put "II" to tell the fans that the previous story line was continued right here, at this album. I turned out that this album sounded quite mediocre to my ears and only the first couple of songs that are good songs. Of course, the "Freihet Overture" is an excellent one and it flows excellently into "I'm American". The music is a nice blend of medium to high register notes in relatively fast tempo accompanying Geoff Tate clear and transparent voice. The double guitar work sounds good to my ears. All songs are delivered seamlessly from one track to another and all of them are expected to tell the whole story line. That's a brilliant idea.

But I have a very big problem in my attempt to comprehend the whole album. FYI, I'm not inclined to review some songs but I'm more interested in seeing the album from a helicopter view. I have found that this album does not project any compelling storyline when it comes to how the music supports it. I have not seen the album has a "strong soul" about the music and the storyline. It sounds to me that the music is being forced to be like this way because the band seemed like working very hard to make this second part as excellent as the first part. The result is a music that does not flow naturally. Having been a shadow of critically acclaimed first part, the band has created an incevenient situation where they compose the music not in a Queensryche standard.

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW