Devin Townsend - Ziltoid the Omniscient CD (album) cover

ZILTOID THE OMNISCIENT

Devin Townsend

Experimental/Post Metal

Drew
4 stars Ziltoid hits you right from the start.

You know right where Devin is going and to true Devin fans, it is no surprise. When I heard the 1st two minutes of the album I just laughed. It's Devin being Devin- being silly and comical.

I guess you can call the album a "concept" album- but I doubt Devin would. (when you listen to the album- you'll hear the word NERD)

Blended in with the nice humor is excellent music- a bit heavy for Devin Townsend albums- Ziltiod is more reminiscent of his Strapping young lad albums at times- which is my only complaint. I enjoy SYL, but I will listen to SYL when I want some heavy devy.

As usual, there are some beautiful and sensual moments- as in any Devin CD- and this is where he really shows his talents. His voice and guitar playing are excellent and very unique. I highly recommend this CD is you enjoy Devin- BUT, if you are new to DT, don't start here- rather: Ocean Machine or Infinity. Not essential- (And not his best) but a great AND interesting listen.

Drew | 4/5 |