Symphony X - Paradise Lost CD (album) cover

PARADISE LOST

Symphony X

Sophocles
5 stars Dear God. After 5 long years of waiting SX deliver to us a new album and the least we can do is to give it our full attention. And I dont' think that anyone who likes SX music will have a problem with that.

From the epical intro of this, from the first riff, from the first note of Allen's voice you feel that it worth all 5 years of expectation. They are back more solid, heavy and matured then ever. All songs are strong, some compositions are the strongest I've heard this year. The guitar does excellent work, with unique ideas on riffs and solos, more technical and heavier that ever. This is metal in all its forms: speed, power, thrash, gothic. "Symphonic" is IMO the word that fits to it but the whole result is beyond words. Vocals are angrier than ever with many melodic parts and high notes jus t as usual. We couldn't expect less from mr Allen. Keys, drums, bass lines, all have a particular role in the whole colossal orchestration. As for the complexity of the music, well, SX put again a new meaning to the word.

After the first shock, you come across the artwork of this album. It is truly breathtaking, emotional and in accordance with the message of the music and the lyrics. This is a dark album, maybe their darkest. The message is clear and that makes this album even more solid and complete.This is an idea explored and then performed, recorded and presented in a perfect way. And that truly makes this album a masterpiece.

I don't know if this is theri finest work, frankly I don't care. SX delivered an album that deserves to be placed in the 1st place of the "Album of the Year" contest. It shares this place with DT's "Systematic Chaos". These two albums are the best examples of Prog Metal '07.

Sophocles | 5/5 |