King Crimson - In The Court Of The Crimson King CD (album) cover

IN THE COURT OF THE CRIMSON KING

King Crimson

SoundsofSeasons
3 stars I would really love to give this album the 5 stars it probably once deserved. Even 4 stars would put my soul to peace. But...i just cannot give this album anything more than 3 stars. Here's a short list why.

1. It's dated, really dated. If i was reviewing this album almost 30 years ago i would probably give the album a 5 star rating. Unfortunately its not three decades ago, so i must review it by putting it up to everything until NOW.

2. It starts off great, but somewhere in the middle i lose all interest. It gets really boring, and anytime i lose interest i must drop AT LEAST a star off my review. Your not supposed to lose interest in your music, and if you do, you know somethings wrong.

3. The sound is terrible. Not the bands fault at all i know, but like i said i have to rate it up against every band up until now. I just heard the sound and im like, "Eww...gross."

Now, this is why im still giving it 3 stars

1. The musicians are really good, and throw that fact right at your face.

2. The first song is fantastic, and pretty much saves the album from a 2 star rating.

So its probably essential, at least as a crash course in the history of prog, but its just not essential to me. Someone whos never heard should definitely give a full spin, and decide for themselves. It just didn't work for me, but other people seem to think differently. I might have missed something...unless it was never there.

SoundsofSeasons | 3/5 |