King Crimson - Red CD (album) cover

RED

King Crimson

CHAOTiC
5 stars This one is so far the best King Crimson release I've heard. This one also belongs to my top five albums of all time.

The title track was the first track I heard from this album. At first it sounded "just good" to me but after active listening I fell in love with this dark instrumental track. It didn't last so long when I had already purchased this album.

The second track, "Fallen Angel" impressed me as soon as I heard it for the first time. It has a beautiful singing melody sung by bassist John Wetton and brilliant use of wind instruments.

"One More Red Nightmare" is an energetic one. I like the way that Bill Bruford uses his china symbals. Robert Fripp's guitar playing is excellent.

"Providence" has often been called boring and vain, but I think it has a great haunting dark feeling on it. About at four minutes begins the greatest part of this improvised song.

"Starless" is one of the best songs ever recorded. Maybe the greatest composition I've heard. The song begins with a sad mellotron and a brilliant guitar melody. Wetton soon starts singing a lovely melody. Then bass starts to play a 13/8 riff, Fripp plays a one-note solo and Bruford's percussions are magnificient. A long part, which culminates to a fast-paced bass riff and a saxophone solo. The greatest goose bump moment is when the melody from the beginning of the song closes the track, the album and the King Crimson's 70's era.

CHAOTiC | 5/5 |