Änglagård - Hybris CD (album) cover

HYBRIS

Änglagård

gabnat
5 stars My best surprise in almost 20 years... As a big fan of Jethro Tull, the period I prefer, for them, is not generally the preferred one, excet the masterpiece TAAB. I love the period that follows, especially Minstrel, Passion Play, Heavy horses (and Chateau d'Isaster tapes) more than Aqualung, which is a good album, but.... I believe they were more creative and are not enough recognised for their work during this period.

Why I am speaking of JT concerning Anglagard... Most people find reference in Genesis and King Crimson. They're right, in some aspêcts, and even if I love or like a lot of the musics of these both groups, I'll never forget the feeling I had hearing "Hybris" (unfortunately not with the 5th song).

Complexity, high quality melody with some disturbing but exciting moments, rythm changes, a free spirit, precision, a smooth melancholy, with moments of rage and despair, in a changing but consistent pieces of music.

The feeling I had a long time ago, with JT, I felt it once again: hearing a first song, knowing there was "something" in it, needing 2 or 3 times to get used to the atmosphere (Jordrok, can be listened on this site). After a difficult journey to find a copy, discover new songs, some of them being more difficult, but still stimulating. And especially, discovering a "revelation" with" Kung Bore": emotion, dexterity, sweetness, darkness, despair, renewal... no "soap"-like emotion: a deep feeling - I don't understand Swedish, but no matters.

The other songs are not so easy to get use to it, but are very interesting, digging in other dark/ disconsolate but also contratsed movements and emotions, even though the "best" ones for me are masterpieces: 1 and 4.

The second album has also interesting aspects. I wish they could still enjoy us with their clear, sophisticcated and emotional music.

A an old fan of JT, for the first time since a long time, I retrieved the same spirit, and some moments have similarities, but mainly I retrieve a feeling I thought was ever gone: be completely surprised, fascinated and sad that they stopped after 2,5 albums.

But I must confess: Anglagard music is more than just a fan question. I put them at the same level of TAAB: on the top. There is something that is above the band with this album. They reached someting that can't be replicated every 10 years...

gabnat | 5/5 |