Camel - Dust And Dreams CD (album) cover

4 stars All in all, Dust and Dreams opens a new era of Camel, which keeps getting better in each album. I love Snow Goose, Moonmadness and Raindance, but there's no point in trying to ask Latimer to keep repeating the old magic. To me, this album is a Camel's most ear-candy effort, in a sense that it's a musically more mature, more AOR and symphonic at the same time. Like any other reviews had pointed out, the songs are based on Steinbeck's Grape of Wraths novel, that could reflect Mr Latimer's life in America. The first few notes mark the overall melancholy theme of the album, and really captures the listener. Latimer shines vocally and instrumentally here, most remarkably for the latter case is his guitars in the instrumental half of the album. With emotional performances like that, no lyrics are necessary, really. Cotton Camp and Hopeless Anger are my favorite tracks here featuring Andy Latimer at his best, almost reminds me of David Gilmore even.
terrylity | 4/5 |