Opeth - Lamentations: Live at Shepherd's Bush CD (album) cover

LAMENTATIONS: LIVE AT SHEPHERD'S BUSH

Opeth

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

progaddicted
4 stars Actually i give it 4.5 stars! First i must say im not a fan of the cookie monster vocals, therefore my rating is mostly based on the performance of the "damnation" and "black water park" songs. Anyhow, who would´ve thought evil music could sound so damn beautiful. I understand that opeth are all about heavy riffs and death metal style vocals, but boy can they create amazing harmonies, lush arrangements and wonderful melodies. Songs like "closure", "death whispered a lullaby" and "hope leaves" make this DVD totally worth it. I also enjoy the final performance of "a fair judgement", great song to finish the set. I only have one regret, i cant understand why they took away the backing vocals on the chorus for "to rid the disease", its the best part of the song!

Overall a great collection of songs and a great balance between peacefulness and agression. The sound mix is very well engineered, actually id say flawless. Video imaging is also great. The documentary is a bit long to my liking, but entertaining, for instance i didnt know that 2 opeth members are actually latin. Also its highly entertaining to see Steven Wilson help opeth produce the "damnation album", the guy is a genius! Highly recommended, play it LOUD!

progaddicted | 4/5 |