Voivod - Killing Technology CD (album) cover

KILLING TECHNOLOGY

Voivod

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

UMUR
4 stars Killing Technology marked the beginning of a triology of perfect prog metal with science fiction lyrics: Killing Technology, Dimension Hatröss and Nothingface. These releases are so progressive in nature that no other band has ever sounded like this. Away delivery of Strange abrupt rythms, Blacky with his famous distorted bass, Snake´s snarling punk delivery ( pretty melodic at times), and Piggy´s strangely beautiful guitarchords.

From the first robotic voice saying "We are connected" over a bib bib sound to the last song "This Is Not an Exercise"( this review is excluding the two bonus CD songs "Too Scared to Scream" and "Cockroaches", I am listening to my old worn out LP), this album is a journey into a sci-fi world, with a feeling of impending doom. It´s dark and brutal ( not death metal brutal) with a lot of climaxes spread throughout the whole album.

It was so inspiring and refreshing to hear this kind of music in 1987, that the reviewers had a hard time labelling Voivod. Voivod has both trash, punk and heavy metal influences and definitely also som prog rock leanings ( many prog head old timers will disagree when it comes to this album, but I hear something).

I´ve really tried to find something that sounds like Killing Technology, but failed, which must indicate that either I haven´t searched in the right place or this is a truly progressive album in the sense that they have created a new genre. I believe it´s the latter.

As this is a metal album from 1987, the production is not perfect, but it suits the music well. I hope some prog heads can find pleasure in this record even though it´s probably mostly for vintage metal heads.

UMUR | 4/5 |